INES Mapper 132
INES Mapper 132 is used to denote the TXC 01-22270-000 and 01-22111-100 boards, used by a few games from TXC Corporation:
|棋王 (Qíwáng, Chinese Chess)||MGC-001||64 KiB||32 KiB|
|Creatom||MGC-003||64 KiB||32 KiB|
|小瑪琍 (Xiǎo Mǎlí)||MGC-005||16 KiB||8 KiB||TXC re-release, no bankswitching or copy-protection. Cartridge label titles it Bingo.|
|麻将方块 (Mahjong Block)||MGC-008||32 KiB||32 KiB||TXC re-release|
|Venice Beach Volley||MGC-010||32 KiB||32 KiB||TXC re-release|
|Rad Racket - Deluxe Tennis II||MGC-011||32 KiB||32 KiB||TXC re-release|
Its UNIF board name is UNL-22211.
- CPU $8000-$FFFF: 32 KiB switchable PRG ROM bank
- PPU $0000-$1FFF: 8 KiB switchable CHR ROM bank
Mapper 132 uses a custom IC (real number 05-00002-010, often with fake markings) serving as a latch, adder and inverter. There are five registers: Input (4 bits), Output (4 bits), Register (4 bits), Mode (1 bit) and Invert (1 bit).
Mask: $E103 Read $4100-$4103: [.... RRRR]: Read Register. Bit 3 is inverted if Invert==1. Bits 4-7 are open bus. Write $4100: When Mode==0: Bits 0-3 of Register := Input, bits 0-2 being inverted if Invert==1. When Mode==1: Bits 0-2 of Register incremented by one, bit 3 unaffected. Write $4101: Invert := Written value bit 0. Write $4102: Input := Written value bits 0-3. Write $4103: Mode := Written value bit 0. Write $8000-$FFFF: Output := Register; written value is ignored.
In Mapper 132, Output is connected as follows:
3210 ---- .|++- Select 8 KiB CHR-ROM bank at PPU $0000-$1FFF (CHR A13/A14) +-- Select 32 KiB PRG-ROM bank at CPU $8000-$FFFF (PRG A15)
Games will also check the lower three or four bits of $4100 for the correct value after several increment and inversion operations as a copy-protection measure.
- 戰國四川省 (Zhànguó Sìchuān Shěng, original version of AVE's Tiles of Fate) is set to Mapper 132 in GoodNES 3.23b. That ROM image is actually a mapper hack with the PRG-ROM code unmodified but the CHR-ROM banks rearranged to work as Mapper 132; the correct mapper is INES Mapper 173. That mapper hack only works on certain emulators' implementation of Mapper 132, not on the above implementation based on studying the circuit board.
- The TXC re-release of 小瑪琍 (Xiǎo Mǎlí), with cartridge code MGC-005, uses the 01-22111-100 board as well, but since it does not use any bankswitching whatsoever, it can be emulated as mapper 0.
- 麻将方块 (Mahjong Block) (TXC re-release, headerless CRC32 0ACFC3CD) is commonly set to INES Mapper 173, but since it expects Output bit 1 to select CHR A14, it actually uses INES Mapper 132. Note that the original Super Mega release of the game uses INES Mapper 172.
- On games with only 32 KiB PRG-ROM, Mapper 132 is almost identical to INES Mapper 136 except in the value read from $4100 due to Mapper 136 having four (28-pin JV001 ASIC) versus Mapper 132 having three adder bits (24-pin 05-00002-010 ASIC).
- On games with only 32 KiB PRG-ROM, INES Mapper 173 is similar to Mapper 132 except that CHR A14 is taken from the inverse of the Invert bit rather than Output bit 1.
- INES Mapper 036 is somewhat similar, using the same 05-00002-010 ASIC. It utilizes CPU bits 4 and 5 instead of 2 for PRG-ROM banking and moves CHR-ROM banking to a separate data latch.